The BlasTech E-11's were built from British Sterling Mk4/L2A3 submachine guns. Produced after 1957, they may have been UK military contract weapons.
This particular prop was built from a deactivated gun with the back section and handle replaced by cast parts.
Sterling Arms Mk4/L2A3 Submachine Gun
Modifications to the guns involved the addition of six grips around the barrel. The exact identity of the grip material has yet to be determined, but recent revelations suggest hard black plastic T-track from old cupboards with sliding doors. These were cut to varying lengths and each end was then inserted into the appropriate cooling hole in the barrel jacket. Note: The row of holes on the underside of the gun had no grips as they would interfere with the folding stock. Also, the row of holes just above the folding stock on the left side of the gun received no grips, presumably this is because of the bayonet attachment stub that occupies the third hole from the front in this row.
Another modification includes the addition of a stock 1942 model M38 azimuth scope (see below) to a mount. This scope mount is in the form of an approximately 1cm wide by 1/16" - 1/8" thick strip of metal sitting about a 1/4" above the gun. The front end of the strip was bent and inserted into the rear most vent hole on the top of the gun thus requiring no rivet or other attachment. On this blaster variation the rear of the mount strip bends down just before the rear sight and is riveted to the top of the gun
Telescope, M38, possibly for the M61 Heavy gun.
Marked M.H.R. Co., 1942, D.A. NO. 30032
Next, a Hengstler Corporation industrial mechanical counter was then added to the side of the gun close behind the magazine receiver. There are at least two variations of the Hengstler boxes known to have been used on the props. The only visual difference between the two boxes is in the logos on their sides. (see below) The obvious difference being that the one on the left actually says Hengstler where the one on the right merely has the "eagle" logo. This prop utilizes the "eagle" with text version. The entire counter assembly was then painted black.
A bit of history: The eagle logo was dropped by the company during or shortly after W.W.II because of its resemblance to German icons.
Two small cylinders (details on these are not known) rest on top of the magazine well in a mount of sorts. See the "Unidentified" section of the site for detailed photos and theories about these parts.
The standard Sterling Mk4/L2A3 34-round magazine model L1A1 was used. These were manufactured by Sterling Engineering Co of Dagenham, Essex. The unique scalloped-edge design (seen below) distinquishes it from magazines made by other military contract manufacturers.
34-round Sterling L1A1 Magazine
Made by Sterling Engineering Co.
They were cut down considerably. The exact length varies between each prop (from 1/2 to 2/5 the original length). Both ends of the magazines were used. The blank firing versions used the feed end of the magazine which locks into the magazine well while non-firing models usually used the left over ends. On some of the guns there are magazines with the real bottom plate covering the exposed end. Others have replicated plates (no hole in the center) and some were just plugged with a piece of wood.
On non-firing versions of the prop like this one, the cocking handle was removed from the bolt and the ejector was removed. The ejector is located just behind the magazine well and is held in place by a retaining screw. The magazine catch had to be removed to release the ejector, but it was put back in after.
Sterling L2A3 Ejector and retaining screw
Want to know more? Check out the ANH E-11 Variation Quick Reference Guide for more versions of the E-11